Monday, December 12, 2011

Nuances

People with autism aren't really known for picking up certain nuances. For example, I can be in Darin's face, telling him he did something he shouldn't (like hitting Lizzy), and he'll be laughing - probably because he thinks Mommy's mean face is funny.

And then there are times that I wonder.... Just what are they aware of? I went to change Darin yesterday, and I had everything I needed in reach, but Darin didn't see the wipes near me (they were on a shelf nearby), so he said, "Where's the wipes?" I pulled the wipes from the shelf, but they weren't the wipes he has been seeing lately, so he said, "No, the wipes." And then to our astonishment, he turned to Scott and said, "Scott, need the wipes." Not Daddy... Scott. I worked very hard to keep it together because I didn't want him to think it was fun to call Daddy Scott. Scott told him, "No, my name is Daddy." Darin then replied, "No, Scott!"

Darin has never called Scott by his name before. It has always been Daddy. So it got me to thinking... Why would he call him Scott? He hasn't called him Scott since. And then I realized that when I need something from Scott, I call him Scott. When I'm having the kids ask Scott for something, I have them call him Daddy. So, I have to wonder - did Darin pick up a pattern that when Mommy needs something, Daddy is Scott and when the kids need something, Daddy is Daddy?

No comments:

Post a Comment